What is the Tech Story?
The New Zealand Tech and Innovation Story (‘Tech Story’) is an industry and Government collaboration providing a compelling message for shared use. It aims to:
- Promote Aotearoa New Zealand’s tech and innovation capabilities.
- Enhance our global reputation.
- Provide opportunities for tech businesses to grow.
Why are we working on this?
Technology is New Zealand’s second largest export earner, but global awareness of our strength and capability is relatively low. New Zealand’s response to COVID-19 has heightened global interest in our country and positioned us as a forward-thinking and innovative nation. Developing our reputation as a hi-tech nation will help grow our tech exports, international investment, attract more students into tech roles and inspire the next generation.
Now is the time to promote and share our story of locally developed technology, talent and innovation.
What will we achieve?
The Tech Story will promote New Zealand’s tech and innovation capabilities in a way that helps grow tech exports, attract investment, tech talent and inspire the next generation.
To enable growth, the Digital Technology Industry Transformation Plant (ITP) has identified several elements requiring support;
- Encourage students to learn digital skills and consider tech career pathways.
- Inspire entrepreneurial startups and growing the tech pipeline by raising the profile of tech and innovation within New Zealand.
The objectives of the Tech Story are:
- To create a framework enabling multiple stakeholders to showcase New Zealand’s strength in tech and innovation.
- To encourage New Zealand technology businesses to use the outputs of the Tech Story to help increase global sales and engage offshore.
- To achieve a positive shift in New Zealand’s innovation perception in key markets.
Ensuring the Tech Story promotes international awareness for New Zealand as a destination for technology and innovation investment and research.
A Governance Group has been established and is currently developing a framework to enable the successful development and activation of The Tech Story. To better understand sector needs, this will initially include interviews, surveying and workshops.
This will then inform the development of Tech Story workshops resulting in content development.
Our work programme includes:
- Content Development Phase
Collecting case studies and stories for workshop testing.
- Brand Development and Management Phase
Brand development will result in The Tech Story guidelines document for local and international web presence.
- Asset Production Phase
An asset suite and portfolio of products and services will be produced.
- Onshore Engagement
To encourage industry uptake, training workshops and roadshows will be delivered.
- Offshore Activation Phase
A global targeted social media and marketing campaign will be delivered.